Board index Reversing Injuries

Reversing Injuries

Just had first prolotherapy session

Making your body injury proof and fixing those "permanent" injuries you have.

Just had first prolotherapy session

Postby hw2084 » January 22nd, 2011, 4:55 pm

I've had a bulging disc in my lumbar region for almost 20 years. It's caused sciatica, stiffness, and muscle imbalance that I believe has contributed to other injuries to my core muscles. I've done physical therapy, chiropractic, massage, and acupuncture to try to take care of it, and they would all help relieve the pain temporarily. The pain would be less, but, even at its best, there would still be this low-level buzz along the side of my leg, as well as stiffness and soreness. But with all these therapies, the pain would come back.

So I was really intrigued by Tim's section on prolotherapy, which seems to promise a cure. I scheduled a session last Wed, and I'm really impressed. I noticed a difference almost immediately. The sciatic burn was completely gone, and my whole lower back and pelvis felt much looser. Riding in a car or sitting for a long time usually elicits a painful groan when I get up, but not anymore. It's been holding up pretty well too a few days later.

So, FWIW, prolotherapy seems to be doing something good for me. Hopefully it will stay.
hw2084

Re: Just had first prolotherapy session

Postby Daisho » January 25th, 2011, 2:30 pm

Do give us periodic updates on your status - back issues are such a scourge.
Daisho

Postby LuisRamosBCN » January 28th, 2011, 12:02 pm

Hi,

I have the same problem, herniated disks, and I'd like to know how many sessions have you been told you must have to "fix" the problem. Costs?
LuisRamosBCN

Postby hw2084 » February 2nd, 2011, 7:33 pm

Daisho, will do!

LuisRamosBCN, my doctor said a treatment course was usually 6-8 sessions spaced 2 weeks apart, but some people come in for touchups indefinitely as needed - maybe 1-2 times a year. Each session is $175 (with additional shots to others body parts in the same session $125). I actually didn't shop around at all though. I just went with someone who had some good reviews. I saw on another board someone who mentioned $50 sessions. I forget if Tim mentioned this, but you'll have to pay out of pocket if you want to try it since insurance doesn't cover it.

So here's my update. I just had my 2nd session today. Feels pretty good, but then again I wasn't feeling too bad to begin with today. For about a week after the 1st session, I had no leg pain, then the pain started to creep in a little bit, but not as bad as before. Still, overall low-back flexibility has been much better, and things that used to bother me like sitting down for an hour hasn't bothered me much the past 2 weeks. I had an acupuncture session at about a week and a half out, and that seemed to improve the pain that had re-emerged. My prolotherapy doc also prescribed physical therapy, but my PT didn't assign me any exercises yet. I'm hoping that I'll be pain free for a longer stretch this time, or that any pain that comes back will be weaker.

As self-prescribed PT, I'm going to start doing Stuart McGill's Big 3 back rehab exercises (Curl-Up, bird dog, and side planks), and maybe some bridges and yoga balance poses. I've also been doing some of the Egoscue exercises mentioned in 4HB. The 1st one (where you look like you're sitting, but with your back on the floor and your feet propped up) feels fantastic. Other than that the only exercise I'm doing right now is yoga. I would normally be running and doing some lifting, but I decided to take it really easy and let things heal up.
hw2084

Postby kylemartin105 » February 13th, 2011, 8:24 pm

Thank you for posting. I am dealing with a similar issue. Lower Lumbar Siactica issues.

I was wondering if any of you were going to attempt the Kettlebell swing discussed in the 4hb. I tried and really aggravated my back. PT told me not to do kettlebell again. Wondering what you are thought.
kylemartin105

Postby hw2084 » February 14th, 2011, 4:12 pm

I haven't tried the kettleball exercise with weight, but I have done it with no weight, and it felt pretty comfortable. I can totally see how if my form were just a little bit off though, it could be very painful. I think the key is to remember that it's a sitting down motion, not a bending over motion (like Tim said in his video).

I'd be nervous trying it with weight. Maybe you could work on gentler strengthening and then try it with kettleball when you're stronger. And Google Stuart McGill for some good exercises.
hw2084

Postby hw2084 » March 6th, 2011, 3:39 pm

I had my 4th session recently, and again I saw a small improvement. I feel like I'm getting diminishing returns at this point. The first session was a huge change and all the subsequent sessions feel like tune-ups.

I can see why they recommend physical therapy in conjunction. It feels like the injury has healed a bit, but I can easily make it worse with bad posture and weak muscles. I'll probably do one more session, and then that's it. Not a bad result. Not what I would call a cure, but I feel much better off than I used to, and got there pretty fast. But I also feel like prolotherapy has taken me as far as it can go at this point. If things get worse in the future, I might go again for a touchup.

Incidentally, I've had some progress with my semi-related hip flexor injury by going to a therapist who specializes in something called Biosync. It's a bit new agey, but otherwise it's not too different than Thai massage where the therapist kind of moves you around into weird positions to get good leverage on certain muscles. The thing that helped the most though was a very intense ab massage that really seemed to hit my psoas.

I'm convinced that most people who suffer low back pain would benefit from a psoas massage. Unfortunately, most massage therapists don't touch it -- probably because it looks really scary to do. The therapist has to really dig into your stomach and root around (search youtube for psoas massage to see).
hw2084

Postby Tony Manifold » March 21st, 2011, 8:30 pm

Mcgill is very highly respected for back stuff. Later tonight I will post some exercises that have been helping with my back.
Tony Manifold

Postby dieting » December 30th, 2014, 6:01 am

I wasn't feeling too bad to begin with today. For about a week after the 1st session, I had no leg pain, then the pain started to creep in a little bit, but not as bad as before. Still, overall low-back flexibility has been much better, and things that used to bother me like sitting down for an hour hasn't bothered me much the past 2 weeks. I had an acupuncture session at about a week and a half out, and that seemed to improve the pain that had re-emerged.???
dieting

Postby Romance1984 » September 4th, 2015, 3:24 am

I can see why they recommend physical therapy in conjunction.
ผลบอลสดมีเสียง
Romance1984

Next

Return to Reversing Injuries

join our mailing list
* indicates required

Sponsors