Board index Subtracting Fat

Subtracting Fat

6 Pounds Gained on Binge Day

Questions and recipes related to The Slow Carb Diet and the supplements discussed in the book (PAGG)

6 Pounds Gained on Binge Day

Postby Biscuit » February 13th, 2011, 10:24 pm

That doesn't sound right no matter how you look at it. I didn't over do it. About 1k calories more than last week. I'm guessing around 5k calories this week vs. 4k last week. Here's hoping tomorrow's scale is looking better. But I'm not seeing how this will all come off within a few days. I believe my weight went down last binge day.
Biscuit

Re: 6 Pounds Gained on Binge Day

Postby futuremental » February 13th, 2011, 11:42 pm

Hi - are you male or female? (Females could have weight fluctuation due to period.)

What is your weight (approximately)? What is your height?

This will help to see how much you gained as a percentage (for example, I weigh 120-125 depending on the day. If I weighed 130 suddenly, that would be very odd and I would be worried. If you went from approximately 250-255 to 260 then it could quite easily be just water weight. )

Could you be carrying 6 pounds of water, fecal matter, etc?

In that case, it will slowly flush out. Just remember to persist, especially if you've only been on the diet for two weeks.

Finally, there is no way that ANYONE can gain 6 pounds of fat in one day. It takes AT LEAST weeks to do that. Keep an eye out for the big picture. Keep on pushing!
futuremental

Postby circadianswing » February 14th, 2011, 1:47 am

I gained 7 lbs on my cheat day yesterday. I went from 219 to 226 when I got the measurement at 5am this morning. I weighed myself again at 10am (after 30 min cardio workout) and I was already 223.5. this evening just before bed (2 hr basketball game), I'm at 222, 3 lbs over my prior cheat day. cheat day included ice cream, and other ice cream treats, a lot of sushi, deli food, vodka, white wine.

height: 6'2", starting weight was 235, and best weight prior to this cheat day was 219.
---------------------------------
38 year old Male - 6'2"
Slow Carb Diet (4 Hour Body) - Started Jan 3, 2011
Starting Weight - 235lbs
Goal Weight - low to mid 190's

circadianswing

Postby Biscuit » February 14th, 2011, 3:27 am

futuremental wrote:This will help to see how much you gained as a percentage (for example, I weigh 120-125 depending on the day. If I weighed 130 suddenly, that would be very odd and I would be worried. If you went from approximately 250-255 to 260 then it could quite easily be just water weight. )

Finally, there is no way that ANYONE can gain 6 pounds of fat in one day. It takes AT LEAST weeks to do that. Keep an eye out for the big picture. Keep on pushing!

Thanks to you and circadian down below. I was just venting and a little frightful I'd gone overboard or done something wrong. It is a bit risky this bingeing, and that's why it's so controversial I think. People are scared to do it, and I can see why. circadian, if you read this.. be sure update us here with how your binge day weight turns out. I will update tomorrow when I check the scale in the morning.

I'm male. Height is 5'10. My weight before binge was 187.3 (186.7 on one day last week) and it spiked to 193 this morning, a day after binge. My start weight was around 193. However, I was having a tough time just before I began. So it was fluctuating between 193 to 197. But on average it would be around 193-195. How do I know if it's water or fecal matter?

I will persist!
Biscuit

Postby Smarky » February 14th, 2011, 7:17 am

Guys, don't worry at all about this, i've had this happen to me and it's not a problem or an issue.

Don't worry about it and don't think it is dangerous, weight is an inaccurate measure of what is happening in your body, you see a big gain and automatically think something bad is happening. You haven't gained 6 pounds of fat in a day (which is what would be bad or dangerous).

Because you have eaten a lot of crap the body isn't used to anymore, some strange things are happening inside your body, your body is also likely storing huge amounts of water to cope with the amount of sugar that has been put through it.

My advice to you is to make sure you are drinking lots and lots and lots of water for the net few days and you should see it drop off. This helps the body flush all of this out and will start to give you a more true figure, the figure the scales are giving you right now are a little bit false. That's why Tim stresses time and time again why weight is an inaccurate measurement of whats going on.

Don't worry, drink lots of water and keep on the diet.
Smarky

Postby bob » February 14th, 2011, 9:14 am

I can't imagine how you are gaining so much weight on a cheat day. You are only suppose to be consuming about 20% more calories without the normal restrictions.
bob

Postby Shepard » February 14th, 2011, 9:37 am

bob wrote:I can't imagine how you are gaining so much weight on a cheat day. You are only suppose to be consuming about 20% more calories without the normal restrictions.

where can I find that info.? All I can find about cheat days is o have a normal breakfast and then lots of h2o+grapefruit juice. Never saw anything about 20% more, and in the book I saw lots to the contrary.

Actually I didn't even think we had to count calories... Seems odd that Tim would go out of his way to bash calories for an entire chapter, and then use them in the next.

EDIT

Also, in regard to the original post:

Page 84 of the book says that it is common for 120 lb. woman to gain 8 pounds in water during a binge. Us guys can see up to 20 pounds of water weight.

And chances are, it is water weight. Gaining 6 pounds of fat in a day is like being the superman of fat gain. You WOULD know if you just gained 6 pounds of fat because your clothes would be terribly tight.
Shepard

Postby bob » February 14th, 2011, 11:37 am

Shepard wrote:where can I find that info.? All I can find about cheat days is o have a normal breakfast and then lots of h2o+grapefruit juice. Never saw anything about 20% more, and in the book I saw lots to the contrary.

Actually I didn't even think we had to count calories... Seems odd that Tim would go out of his way to bash calories for an entire chapter, and then use them in the next.

I don't have the book on hand but you don't need to count calories on cheat or non-cheat days. The point is to have a calorie spike so you will need to eat more calories than the rest of the week, this doesn't mean break out a scale and be percise about it, it just means consume a bit more food. Not double mind you.

This could just be my interpretation but the point of the cheat day is two fold, 1) it allows you to get a break and eat the food you crave, this helps your own mental feelings about the diet since you can eat anything you want and 2) The spike in calories helps maintain a healthy thyroid. In my opinion it is not in the spirit of the diet to gorge yourself until you feel sick on junk food.
bob

Postby zenlc » February 14th, 2011, 11:50 am

I may have been the one that started the "20% over maintenance calories" meme. This number I got from another source that advocates a similar weekly "refeed."

Also, each gram of glycogen (the storage form of glucose) stored takes with it 3 to 4 grams of water. The body can easily store 1kg of glycogen in the muscles and liver - 1 kg glycogen plus 4 kg water = 5 kg which is more than 10 pounds.

I typically "gain" 6 pounds of water on binge day. It drains off.
zenlc

Postby Biscuit » February 15th, 2011, 12:15 am

zenlc wrote:I may have been the one that started the "20% over maintenance calories" meme. This number I got from another source that advocates a similar weekly "refeed."

Also, each gram of glycogen (the storage form of glucose) stored takes with it 3 to 4 grams of water. The body can easily store 1kg of glycogen in the muscles and liver - 1 kg glycogen plus 4 kg water = 5 kg which is more than 10 pounds.

I typically "gain" 6 pounds of water on binge day. It drains off.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I feel much more comforted now. The explanation of water weight helps a lot.

I checked the sale this morning and I was 188.4. So I'm nearly back on track. I was hoping for 185 by mid-week. Although, Ferriss says you'll gain muscle from all the protein. I haven't bought any of the tools he recommended to track body fat and muscle. I know, I'm not doing it right. I was never good at tracking results, yet I still lost a lot of weight. (I had previously lost over 100 pounds and kept it off.)
Biscuit

Next

Return to Subtracting Fat

join our mailing list
* indicates required

Sponsors