Board index Progress Logs

Progress Logs

Starting 4hb, need feedback

Create a log of your progress so others can see how you are doing and keep you motivated

Starting 4hb, need feedback

Postby mademoiselle » July 11th, 2012, 12:40 pm

Hi,

So I got Tim Ferris' 4HB book 2 weeks ago and started the 4HB diet on 8th June.
Stats:
Female, 5'7
134lbs
TI 148 (waist+hips+2 mid thigh+2 mid bicep)
Body fat 28% (I am VERY flabby, this was measured by my trainer using some electrode type thingy)

Had my 1st weigh in yesterday and I've gained 2 lbs but lost 1 inch on waist and hips...Is this ok? Should it have been more? I am not doing the supplements (yet) and go to gym for 1h, 3x a week (light cardio+strength training). I'm pescatarian, so I don't eat chicken/lamb/pork/beef. Here are my meals:

B - kale omelette + canellini beans in tomato sauce (18g protein)
L - black bean burgers + hummus + spinach+avocado+tomato salad (20g protein)
D - oven cooked salmon + lentils (35g protein)

All food was homecooked. I know I must not go by the scale numbers but I was expecting at least some weight loss. Been on an atkins type diet before and lost 4lbs within the first 3 days. I was, however, unable to continue with it as was craving carbs too much. I have absolutely no carb cravings on SCD so far. You could place a slice of chocolate fudge cake in front of me right now and I'd have no problem saying no. Does the fact that I'm NOT craving carbs mean that I'm eating too much carbs?
In light of the results of my 1st 3 days I'm gonna make a few changes. Sticking to breakfast as outlined in the book ie omelette(3 whites+1 whole), mixed bean salad with peppers and mushrooms(I've calculated the protein in that to be 25g). Drinking more water, aim for 2.5L per day.
No nuts or hummus 'domino' foods.
Less tomatoes and onions.
Any other suggestions? Am I eating enough? Or too much? Too little? Some guidance will be greatly appreciated x
mademoiselle

Re: Starting 4hb, need feedback

Postby justhamade » July 11th, 2012, 1:41 pm

mademoiselle wrote:Had my 1st weigh in yesterday and I've gained 2 lbs but lost 1 inch on waist and hips...Is this ok?
Everyone responds differently there are millions of different variables to take into account, so there is no right or wrong.

If you can I would try to increase the protein closer to 1gram pre lb of body weight.

mademoiselle wrote: I have absolutely no carb cravings on SCD so far. You could place a slice of chocolate fudge cake in front of me right now and I'd have no problem saying no.
This is due to satiety hormones like leptin, ghrelin etc. These change throughout the day and are greatly affected by diet, sleep and stress. It does not mean you are eating too much carbs, it probably means you are getting a good, possibly better, nutrient to calorie ratio.
mademoiselle wrote:Sticking to breakfast as outlined in the book ie omelette(3 whites+1 whole),
Tim actually recommends to eat the whole egg later in the book.
mademoiselle wrote:No nuts or hummus 'domino' foods
If you find that you have cravings, I would use the nuts to curb them, otherwise they should not be needed.

mademoiselle wrote:Any other suggestions? Am I eating enough? Or too much? Too little? Some guidance will be greatly appreciated x
Seems like you are doing ok. Make sure you get good sleep 9+ hours pitch black room.

I would cut back on the cardio, and alternate between some metabolic resistance training and strength training. Cardio is actually not good for fat loss.
--
Need personalized help? Leave a comment at http://www.myfourhourbodydiary.com/help/
justhamade

Postby mademoiselle » July 11th, 2012, 2:08 pm

Thank you! Glad to know that the weight gain is normal! And the no carb craving might actually be a positive sign. I've never eaten in a healthier way in my life and I like it so far. First 'diet' I've been on where I don't feel like I'm depriving myself. It's to the point where I actucally don't know which foods I want to have on my cheat day this saturday.

I'll take your suggestion and add a boiled egg to my lunch and have egg whites only for breakfast.

The cardio I do at the gym is a palsy 10min on treadmill (interval training). Next time I meet my trainer I'll let him know that I'm now on a low carb diet, he might change my training programme accordingly. Most of the stuff I do is core exercises and upper body strength training. One thing I've also found on SCD is I now have enough energy to power my workout. Before I absolutely needed to have a carb snack (granola bar or oatmeal) right before in order to do all the exercises.

My next measurement session will be this saturday, I'll keep the board updated.
mademoiselle

Postby mademoiselle » July 14th, 2012, 2:31 am

So Week 1 has passed and there's been some progress!

Weight: 132
TI: 143

The most change has been in my TI, and the most inches lost was 1.5 inch on my hips. I'm pleased with this. The modifications I'll make for next week is to include tuna in my lunch to boost protein. I've had wine 3x this week as well, so will cut down next week.

Today is cheat day. Already had a Starbucks blueberry muffin and caramel hot chocolate this morning. Didn't start with SCD breakfast as I ran out of time this morning. Will update on my post cheat day measurements tomorrow.
mademoiselle

Postby sandman369 » July 14th, 2012, 11:56 am

Wow 5 inches in 1 week, that's amazing! Keep up the good work. My only suggestion would be increase the protein in your breakfast instead of (or as well as) lunch. I'd do something like mix half a can (or more if you end up liking the taste) of tuna in those saucy beans.
25 y.o. male / 6' tall
Start: Feb 13, 2012 / Weight: 201 lbs / TI (chest, around navel, hips, both thighs): 168"
1 month: 194 lbs / 164.4"
10 weeks: 185.6 lbs / 157"
15 weeks: 183 lbs / 153.9"
4 months: 180 lbs / 153"
sandman369

Postby mademoiselle » July 15th, 2012, 1:15 pm

This morning's weigh in:

Gained weight after yesterday's cheat day as expected. My cheat day went as follows:
caramel hot chocolate
blueberry muffin
tuna panini
slice of walnut cake
mushroom soup
mushroom risotto
slice of chocolate fudge cake + ice cream
1 glass pinot grigio
5 vodka lemonade
1/2 glass pinot grigio

Did the grapefruit juice + coffee and 60s of squats before meals.

I expect to lose the extra weight in 2-3 days. This 'diet' works and I will stick to it. Next measurements will be on tuesday. I will heed the advice given and increase my breakfast and lunch proteins. Also will go to gym 3x a week (only managed 1x this week). Thanks for the advice/encouragement, keep it coming :)
mademoiselle

Postby mademoiselle » July 22nd, 2012, 4:38 am

End of week 2 measurements:
Weight 130lbs
TI 141.5

The last time I weighed 130lbs was about 3 years ago. So happy right now. So this past week I've increased my breakfast and lunch proteins and it seems to be paying off. Also started my period yesterday, which probably explains why I've not lost as much as I expected...ah being a lady sucks sometimes! I'm also 4 days EARLY, perhaps due to better nutrition?
Plan for this week is to go to gym 3 times (did not go last week due to work) and reduce alcohol consumption (had a total of 2 bottles of wines last week).
Cheat day is today. I'll be out with friends for the whole day so eating shouldn't be a problem :) Will have a post binge update tomorrow.
mademoiselle

Postby mademoiselle » August 5th, 2012, 3:42 am

Week 4:

TI 139.5
Weight 130 lbs

The weight loss so far seems to be a 'real' loss as the scale is staying stable on 130. Also my pants are fitting better. A blouse with really tight sleeves before I can now wear without it leaving marks on my arms! The weight loss is still too small to be noticeable by others but I think in a few more weeks I might start getting some compliments ;)

I did not post last week as I did not do great on the plan. I cheated 3 times! Still didn't seem to affect my progress too much. I cheated once this week as well when I had chocolate after my dinner. For next week my goals are:

1) Reduce the wine consumption! I've got this habit where I have 1-2 glasses of wine EVERY day after work. I know wine is allowed on SCD but surely that much alcohol can't be good for my general health!
2) Always have breakfast. I missed breakfast twice this week.
3) Gym 3-4 times this week

One problem is that I'm going out for a colleague's leaving do on thursday. We're going to an italian restaurant so I don't think I'll have any other choice but to have carbs on that day. I'll try to not have too much food and maybe fast on friday.
mademoiselle

Postby justhamade » August 7th, 2012, 1:13 pm

mademoiselle wrote:Week 4:

TI 139.5
Weight 130 lbs

The weight loss so far seems to be a 'real' loss as the scale is staying stable on 130. Also my pants are fitting better. A blouse with really tight sleeves before I can now wear without it leaving marks on my arms! The weight loss is still too small to be noticeable by others but I think in a few more weeks I might start getting some compliments ;)

I did not post last week as I did not do great on the plan. I cheated 3 times! Still didn't seem to affect my progress too much. I cheated once this week as well when I had chocolate after my dinner. For next week my goals are:

1) Reduce the wine consumption! I've got this habit where I have 1-2 glasses of wine EVERY day after work. I know wine is allowed on SCD but surely that much alcohol can't be good for my general health!
2) Always have breakfast. I missed breakfast twice this week.
3) Gym 3-4 times this week

One problem is that I'm going out for a colleague's leaving do on thursday. We're going to an italian restaurant so I don't think I'll have any other choice but to have carbs on that day. I'll try to not have too much food and maybe fast on friday.

There are many italian dishes that can be low/slow carb. See if they have a gluten free menu that might help. Avoid the bread and pasta for sure. And you always have a choice.
--
Need personalized help? Leave a comment at http://www.myfourhourbodydiary.com/help/
justhamade

Postby mademoiselle » September 23rd, 2012, 5:57 am

Hello,

I've not been to the board in about 2 months...the reason is I went to germany onholiday for 3 weeks and completely went off the diet. Pasta and cake and booze everyday, no exercise. I had a great time but gained a lot of weight. Came back and weighed in at 64kg, my TI pretty much back to where it was.

I started SCD again on 7th sept. Ordered PAGG and started it on 15th sept. I stuck to the diet religiously. I'm now at 60kg and my combined waist+hip measurement is 166cm (down from 170cm on my 1st weigh-in). I also started my period this week so idk how that is affecting my measurements. My clothes already fit better. And I swear I look leaner! My collarbones seem a litlle bit more defined. I'll wait for my period to be over next friday before posting measurements again.

So far I feel good on the diet. No cravings. My cheat day is today, and whilst I'm hungry I do not feel like eating loads. Had a bite of strawberry gateau on my last cheat day and almost retched. Too sweet. I'm very determined this time, what with having spent so much money on getting my PAGG. Will keep the forum posted
mademoiselle

Next

Return to Progress Logs

join our mailing list
* indicates required

Sponsors