From Swimming to Swinging

Swimming

Swimming

Postby jnickell » January 21st, 2011, 4:15 pm

I am a pretty good swimmer already - swim team in high school and college. I typically finish in the top 10% in the swim portion of the triathlons. (I suck at the rest, but that is a different topic) I've seen total immersions targeted at all those fast running guys who can't swim constantly, but has anyone had experience using it if they are already a fast swimmer. I read a review a while back that it was a little easier on the cardio, but slower than a fast swimmer would already be doing. Anyone try it?

Josh
jnickell

Re: Swimming

Postby reizen » January 22nd, 2011, 8:25 pm

The actual author of the method himself was in that category - fast college swinner. Read his book.
reizen

Postby rendez » January 23rd, 2011, 8:32 am

jnickell: I've tried it. I've been a constant swimmer for the past 4 years or so and while it's great for recovery periods, in my case, I'm not particularly fond of it. Sure it helps achieve more yards because it's easy on your shoulders, and the speed you achieve is quite good compared to the amount of energy applied IMO.

Usually, a half angle from total immersion serves me much better at this point. 25º or something.

What was your exact question opening this topic?
rendez

Postby jnickell » January 23rd, 2011, 10:47 am

That was the info I was looking for. I wouldn't mind improving my efficiency, but I'm not willing to sacrifice much speed for only a little efficiency.
jnickell

Postby rendez » January 23rd, 2011, 3:16 pm

jnickell wrote:That was the info I was looking for. I wouldn't mind improving my efficiency, but I'm not willing to sacrifice much speed for only a little efficiency.

I'm not 100% sure about it. You shouldn't be looking at it from this perspective, there are dozens of swimming styles, for example the russian olympic team crawl stroke is a little different from the one of the Aussies or Americans, they all perform the catch with the hand bent in a slightly different position, and there are more details about it.

Anyhow, just take total immersion as a very good, efficient technique and use it sparingly. Interchange exercises and styles, that will actually give you the best results. And don't forget also every swimmer has to acquire his own personal style, not all bodies are the same, not everyone has the same shoulder strength or overall endurance... Take a look at www.goswim.tv there are a ton of examples about different techniques, I make up my own from this resource and others.

If you seek to really do focused trainings, like work more on strength, or in your case speed, consider joining a team of swimmers, you'll learn much more in a group than alone ;)

I hope that helps a little more.

Cheers.
rendez

Postby jnickell » January 24th, 2011, 7:18 pm

Of course, just when choosing where to spend my time, I might give this particular method a little more time and practice if it received good reviews from fast swimmers. Most of the people who I have seen rave about it seem to be natually slower swimmers.
jnickell

Postby thwg » February 2nd, 2011, 5:26 pm

I swam in high school... I joined the swim team in 9th grade and could probably swim a length or two... very similar to Tim in the 4hb book.

My coach used TI as a training method and I was able to qualify for the varsity team by the end of the first season. So it can definitely be used to teach new swimmers how to swim effectively, efficiently, and fast.

As for increasing speed for people that already swim, I believe it helps there too, but I don't have personal experience with that since I've been using the same drills since I started swimming. The other people on my team all improved and we used mostly TI drills. A lot of them had been swimmers since they were little kids.

some of the most important aspects of TI that should help current swimmers are lengthening the stroke and rotating the body through the stroke (for freestyle at least, there are TI drills for every stroke)
thwg

Postby TheFatYogi » February 17th, 2011, 9:49 pm

jnickell wrote:I am a pretty good swimmer already - swim team in high school and college. I typically finish in the top 10% in the swim portion of the triathlons. (I suck at the rest, but that is a different topic) I've seen total immersions targeted at all those fast running guys who can't swim constantly, but has anyone had experience using it if they are already a fast swimmer. I read a review a while back that it was a little easier on the cardio, but slower than a fast swimmer would already be doing. Anyone try it?

Josh

I am a natural fast swimmer, but I don't usually have the stamina for long swims. I have been working on the total immersion freestyle for two weeks and last night it all came together.

Once I got the rhythm down, I felt it and just sailed right through the stroke. This method is life changing and does not hurt your speed.
TheFatYogi

Postby Faskt » May 5th, 2011, 12:46 pm

Swimming is a good exercise. I am also a natural swimmer. Swimming is good for the Muscles and other body parts.
Faskt

wholesale brand name clothing

Postby Jatievy » May 30th, 2011, 4:49 pm

Of course, just when choosing where to spend my time, I might give this particular method a little more time and practice if it received good reviews from fast swimmers. Most of the people who I have seen rave about it seem to be natually slower swimmers.

???
Jatievy

Return to From Swimming to Swinging

join our mailing list
* indicates required

Sponsors